I was feverishly flipping through my recipe cards last week and came across these vintage cards from my Grandma Helen. I thought I’d post a few for your enjoyment.
“For Throwing Up”
- 1 pint diluted OJ
- 1T sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
Directions: there aren’t any directions on the card. I’m guessing stir and drink. I am 100% convinced this would make me barf, not help me stop.
- 1/2 C ammonia
- 1/8 C vinegar
- 1 quart water in a spray bottle
Directions: Combine. Tip-when drying windows on the inside vertical, outside horizontal, you will then know which side is in and out when you polish.
- To discourage rabbits from nibbling on veggie plants, mix a solution of soap powder granules and water. Spray on plants. The soapy mix will not hurt the plant or you, but the rabbits will not like it.
- Sugar dampened with turpentine will stop bleeding.
- Mix equal parts of soda and pure lard. Apply small amount twice a week to remove corns.
- A cure for warts-cover wart with white adhesive tape, make it air tight for several weeks. When tape is removed wart will be gone. Caster Oil and white vinegar also helps.
- To remove chewing gum from clothing pour white vinegar on and let stand for 5 minutes. Gum can then be pulled off (Aunt Jane’s sewing circle).
I thought the same thing when I read “for throwing up” Haha!!
Awwwww… I can just see Grandma Helen now – stylish in her Jackie O. ensemble, smoking calmly in the kitchen!