Many requests for this recipe. Lori got it from Martha and made some changes, then I’ve made some changes. I hope you decide to make it your own too.
Macaroni & Cheese
Adapted from Martha Stewart and Lori Peterson
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 ½ C Panko bread crumbs
- 5 ½ C skim milk
- ½ C flour (any type)
- 1 T Braggs Aminos (could also use Soy Sauce)
- ½ tsp Coleman’s Ground Mustard
- Pinch of fresh ground Nutmeg
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- 6 oz sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 oz white Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 oz Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 4 oz smoked Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 oz light or ff cream cheese
- 4 oz Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 pound whole grain pasta, cooked al dente
Heat oven to 375. Butter a large, deep casserole dish. If you use a 9 x 13 pan, make sure when you bake it, you put a jelly roll pan with sides under it, the pan will overflow and you can save your oven.
Melt the butter, reserve 2 T with Panko breadcrumb in small dish and set aside.
In medium saucepan, heat milk. Add rest of melted butter from above, and slowly whisk flour into this mixture. Stir until becomes bubbly and thickens a little.
Remove pan from heat and stir in spices and all cheeses, MINUS the Parmesan. Stir in cooked pasta, transfer into your prepared dish/pan. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and Panko. Bake until brown and bubbly, approximately 30 minutes. Cool slightly and serve.
#author’s note: just about any combination of cheeses will work here. I love Applewood Smoked Cheddar or Colby Jack in this as well as Havarti, Gorgonzola, etc. Create your own cheese flavor profile. Just follow the approximate measures above and do not sub for the cream cheese, you need that one.