So my plans for tonight were cancelled, believe me, I’m not complaining. I don’t even know what happened to the month of October. As you can see from my last post at the beginning of October, I was obviously abducted by aliens and didn’t have Wi-Fi in order to blog.
This evening, I arrived home to a growling stomach, courtesy of too much PM snacking with only caloric and fat benefits and two dogs that needed my immediate attention (i.e. let’s go for a walk) which calls off all audibles to the store to wander and create. Took care of the dogs, fielded a few calls from frantic students with assignments due, then opened up the freezer…squash puree, black beans, soups of all kinds, blueberries (gosh, those are STILL in there?) and the usual culprits, cheese, veg burgers, etc…boooorrriiingg. Then, the lightbulb flickers…squash burritos? Yes…squash burritos.
Squash Burritos with Black Beans
- 2 C black beans, cooked
- 2 C butternut squash, pureed
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 T chipotle en adobo (if you aren’t a fan of spicy, use 3/4 to 1 T for the smokey kick minus the tongue burn)
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 T pineapple juice (plus more for the avocado)
- 2 T crushed pineapple
- grape tomatoes (a couple of handfuls)
- 1 avocado
- 6 reduced-fat, flour tortillas
- 1 C finely shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend (or goat cheese, yum)
- 2 large handfuls of baby spinach
- Chopped red onion
- Light sour cream or my newest sour cream replacement, plain Greek fat free yogurt
Directions: Combine beans through pineapple in list above in a medium pot, cook until warmed through. Assemble burritos on flour tortillas with all ingredients except for sour cream. Roll into burrito shape. Place into 9×9 pan, put in oven covered until warmed through and moist. Serve with sour cream and leftover avocado. I also use plenty of Frank’s Red Hot on top with a sprinkle of extra cheese.