We haven’t purchased dressing from a store since my discovery of flavored balsamic dressings years ago, but ranch was always hard to substitute for dips and faux chicken tenders. Ranch dressing to dip well just about any and everything in from french fries to carrot sticks has become an American obsession and being vegan-ish doesn’t make me long any less for a dressing for this same purpose!
For a long while I searched high and low for a store-bought veg ranch dressing that I could embrace and love a la Hidden Valley Ranch. Alas, I’m not willing to put up with high fructose corn syrup OR things with faces in my dressing anymore, so to the Internet I went. I have tried many shorter order ingredient lists to make vegan ranch dressing and they are okay [the second recipe is the best small ingredient list dressing I have found for ranch], but this first recipe, tastes like REAL ranch dressing. Drip some veggies in it or serve over a salad. Keeps for about a week in the fridge.
- 1 C soy Greek-style yogurt
- 1 C vegenaise
- 1 C almond milk, unsweetened [plus 2 tsp white or apple cider vinegar]
- 1/3 C vegan sour cream
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 heaping T freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 T white vinegar [apple cider vingar will work in a pinch too]
- 1 T lemon juice
- 3 T fresh parsley, finely chopped
- To make “buttermilk” mix almond milk with 2 tsp of vinegar until frothy, set aside for up to 5 minutes to develop buttermilk consistency.
- Mix the soy yogurt, vegenaise, almond “buttermilk” and vegan sour cream together in a large bowl.
- Stir in the garlic and onion powders and pepper, then add the salt, vinegar, lemon juice and parsley and stir until just combined.
- Cover and refrigerate until needed, up to a week.
- Veganized from a Food Republic recipe.
In a hurry? Try this recipe instead. Not quite as rich like regular ranch dressing but makes for a good schmear on a burger, sandwich, and dipping sauce.
- 1 C vegenaise
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp parsley, chopped fresh or 1 tsp dry
- 1/2 C unsweetened soymilk or almond milk
- salt to taste
- Whisk all ingredients together and chill before serving. Add a little more nondairy milk if you need to thin dressing.