I’m a pickled veggie snob. I will spend $12.00 on a jar of pickles. I will eat one a week so as not to get rid of them too soon, savoring every bite, then I will keep the jar of juice and dump baby carrots into the remaining sea of spices until I drain the jar dry.
Today I noticed some very much neglected pickling cukes in the back of my crisper, not looking so much crisp as sad. Here is my science experiment and foray into quick pickles. I hope you like it spicy.
- 6 baby cucumbers washed and cut into rings
- 1 habanero pepper cut into 4ths
- 2 jalapeno peppers cut in half
- 2 whole cloves garlic smashed
- Handful kosher salt
- 1 1/2 C white vinegar, cause I’m old school
- 1 C water
- 1 1/2 T garlic chopped
- 5 bay leaves, whole
- 2 T dried dill, or 4 T fresh dill
- 1 T black peppercorns
- 1 T agave nectar
- 1 T cumin seeds, whole