So many friends have been asking for quick, kid-friendly meals. I have no idea what kid-friendly means…I mean, feed them what you eat, then if you eat this, logic dictates kids friendly, right? This one is just as delicious as the lentil taco recipe from earlier in the month; however, when you mash up the chickpeas…they actually take on the texture of shredded chicken (or what I remember shredded chicken to look like). It will fool your friends and kiddos too. If your kids have delicate palates, adjust the salt and spices accordingly. Go ahead, play with your food.
Adapted from The Snarky Chickpea
- 6 taco shells or tortillas
- 1/3 lb dried chickpeas (I think it made about 1.5 cups after cooking)-you could use 1.5 cans of chickpeas here if you like, just drain them before using and give a good rinse
- 2 TB Braggs Liquid Aminos or soy sauce/tamari
- 1 1/2 TB lemon juice
- 1 TB chili powder
- 1 TB garlic powder
- 1 TB onion powder
- 1 TB red pepper flakes
- 1 TB cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ancho chile powder
- 1 tsp fresh black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- taco toppings: lettuce, onion, tomatoes, taco sauce, etc.
- Cook your chickpeas for about 90 minutes over a medium or medium-low heat (you could also use canned).
- In bowl, combine Braggs, lemon juice, and all spices. Mix well.
- In a saute’ pan, add chickpeas and pour the liquid spice mix over the chickpeas in the pan and mix well-mashing down the chickpeas so you have some whole and some smushed for texture. The chickpeas will start to suck in the spice mix which is total noms.
- Heat through on low-medium, stirring well.
- Remove from heat and add to your shell of choice, top with your fave veggies, salsa, etc and shove in your pie hole.