This is the chili I take tailgating. Carnivores have no idea this doesn’t have meat in it thanks to the chipotle which adds a smokey beefy taste to the dish. Add a little liquid hickory or hot sauce to increase the meaty factor. I love this over vegan dogs, it makes me feel just like everyone else, which if you are veg, you know exactly what I’m talking about.
TVP Chili for Meat-Eaters
- 1/4 C cumin
- 1/2 C chili powder
- 2 C cooked chickpeas
- 2 C cooked great northern beans
- 2 C cooked cranberry beans
- 1-46oz bottle V8 Hot & Spicy reduced sodium
- 1/3 of the V8 bottle, water
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 4 T garlic, minced
- 3 bell peppers (your choice of color), chopped
- 1 C frozen or fresh corn off the cobb
- 2 chipotle en adobo, chopped finely
- 2 C whole crushed tomatoes, with juice
- 3/4 C hot water
- 1 C TVP
Rehydrate the TVP in a bowl with the 3/4 C hot water. Set aside.
Saute onion, garlic, bell peppers, cumin and chili powder over medium heat until onion is soft.
Add V8, water, tomatoes, stir to loosen up the charred bits in the bottom.
Last, add the beans, corn, and TVP then stir to combine.
Let simmer for flavors to develop for 20 to 30 minutes.