I’m on a little oatmeal kick recently…well, at Costco I bought about a zillion RAW oatmeal packets that come together in a jiffy and have quinoa, chia, flax, oats and great taste without all the sugar that Quaker has. I came across this idea from a friend’s Facebook page today while procrastinating. I made it and LOVE it. If you are a non-oats person because of the texture of hot or cold oatmeal, this will cure you of your oat-phobia (yes, of course that is a technical term). A quick, warm breakfast on a cold day is possible. Try it for Christmas morning so you can dedicate time to your gifts and not the prep of your breakfast. With this in your belly in the AM, it’s basically permission to eat cookies for the other two meals of the day. Cheers!
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond or coconut milk (any nondairy milk should work here, I used unsweetened nonflavored almond)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds (any nut will work)
- 1/2 cup dried Michigan cherries (or other dried fruit of your choice)
- 1 large un-peeled Honey Crisp apple, grated (apple should be firm)
- 2 TBSP pure maple syrup (you choose, but use natural, not a syrup made with artificial sweeteners-Agave is a good sub here)
- Cooking Spray
1. Preheat oven to 400
2. Coat a 3 quart (large) casserole dish or baking pan with cooking spray
3. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl
4. Place mixture in the casserole dish
5. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes
Feel free to toss Chia or Flax in there too…a little sprinkle won’t hurt.
*Makes 6 1-cup servings (divide other servings into small containers for a quick grab-n-go breakfast next week for work!!!)