Good use of leftovers here. Had brown rice, marinated tofu, and roasted butternut squash in the freezer, so just had to chop up some ginger, garlic and shallots. Had this dish on the dinner table in under 20 minutes. YUM! This rice dish freezes well after you put it together too-add some more veg broth and coconut milk, maybe a little curry powder and you have soup. So many possibilities.
- 1 c brown basmati rice (I used pink rice)
- 2 c water
- pinch of salt
- 2 lbs butternut squash
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 c sliced shallot
- 1 tbl minced fresh ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 c light coconut milk
- 1/4-1/2 c veg broth (I just used water)
- 1 tbl freshly squeezed lime juice
- Cook rice (add rice, water and pinch of salt)-I pulled this pre-made from the freezer
- Preheat oven to 400, bake squash for about 45 minutes-you could microwave this too if you are in a big hurry
- When squash is cool to handle, preheat a large skillet over med-high heat. Sauté shallot in the oil for about 7 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, lime zest, red pepper flakes and salt, saute for 2 minutes, turn heat to low
- Scoop the flesh out of the squash into the pan, add the coconut milk. Mash into a creamy consistency. Add rice and stir well. Add 1/4 c veg broth (or water) and mix well. You can add up to another 1/4 c of brother to get a creamier consistency if you want. Add lime juice, salt if needed and enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Appetite for Reduction, my most used and abused vegan cookbook. Go get it.